Sunday 24 November 2013

Ta Da!  In an effort to maintain standards whilst BBE is away I bought the most enormous rump steak and cooked it sous vide, cool box style!  It was already vacuum packed, I left it in the original packaging and referred to this article which I love because of all the facts and figures and pictures which make it very clear.  I was aiming for 130 degrees F, to give a medium rare steak, turns out my cool box isn't very good at maintaining the temperature of the water.  I started off with one kettle of cold water, plus two kettles of boiling water.  I topped it up with boiling water about every 20 minutes, checking the temperature carefully each time.  I think next time, given the loss of heat I get with my cool box I will aim for 140 degrees F.  I left it for two hours, This allowed the fat to render and the connective tissues to start to break down.  The steak was patted dry and then seared in a smoking hot pan.  The chips are made from parsnips and baked in the oven with Fry Light. The vegetables were steamed. I was quite pleased with the result.  x

1 comment: